Design Academy job guarantee
The Pixoul Guarantee
Welcome to Pixoul’s UX Design Academy (the “Design Academy”). We are committed to your success, and will support you fully in the transition into a UX career. We back our commitment with the Pixoul UX Design Academy Guarantee (the “Pixoul Guarantee”): subject to the Terms below, we will refund 100% of your paid tuition if you are not offered a Qualifying Position (as defined in the Terms) within the Guarantee Period of receiving a Design Academy certificate of completion. A career transition involves focused, consistent effort. We put in this effort to help you make that transition, and ask for an equal commitment from you. Specifically, you shall satisfy the requirements below in order to be eligible for the Pixoul Guarantee. If these requirements are not satisfied, you may still participate in the program and receive all of the advantages of career support, but you will not be eligible for the tuition refund.
The following terms and conditions (the “Terms”) apply to the Pixoul Guarantee:
- You must be 18 years or older.
- You must hold a Bachelor’s Degree from any accredited educational institution in any subject by the date you are approved for completing the Design Academy. Most employers still require a Bachelor’s degree in addition to the UX skills and experience you will gain during the Design Academy.
- You must be proficient in spoken and written English, as determined by initial interactions with Pixoul team members.
- You must be eligible to legally work in the United States for at least 2 years following graduation from the Design Academy.
- You must be able to pass any background checks associated with jobs that you apply for. Without limiting the foregoing, if you fail to obtain a job offer directly or partially due to your failure to pass a background check associated with the job offer, you will not be eligible for the tuition refund.
A “Qualifying Position” is defined as any role in the UX field as:
- A salaried employee or waged employee working an average of at least 30 hours a week onsite or remote;
- A full-time (30 or more hours per week) contractor, intern or other compensated service provider relationship for 3 months or longer working onsite or remote; or
- A paid onsite or remote contractor or intern that has the potential to be extended or converted to a full-time role
The “Guarantee Period” is defined as the period beginning at enrollment and ending 6 months after receiving a Design Academy certificate of completion, or a longer period as set forth below. The Guarantee Period may be extended unilaterally by Pixoul: (A) by up to 12 months if the national unemployment rate is at any point during the Guarantee Period equal to or greater than 6%, or the monthly increase in the national unemployment rate exceeds 0.5%, or there are back-to-back monthly increases in the unemployment rate; (B) by one month to account for seasonal slowdowns in hiring, such as during the end-of-year holiday season occurring at any point during the Guarantee Period; or (C) by up to six months if there is a natural disaster or other occurrence beyond Pixoul's control at any point during the Guarantee Period that disrupts the job market nationally or in one or more Metropolitan Areas you are targeting. The Guarantee Period may also be extended by mutual agreement. The foregoing extensions may be cumulative.
The “Metropolitan Areas” means the metropolitan areas surrounding the following cities for which the Pixoul Guarantee applies: Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Los Angeles, CA; Montreal, QC (Canada); New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco Bay Area, CA; Seattle, WA; Toronto, ON (Canada); Twin Cities, MN; Vancouver, BC (Canada); Washington DC.
Commitment to the Program and Your Own Success
We require that you fully commit to your job search and take our recommendations seriously. As a graduate of the Design Academy, we expect you to be an active participant in your own success, and put significant effort into your own growth and your job search. Therefore, for the Pixoul Guarantee to be applicable:
1. You must have completed all the mandatory requirements for graduation, including:
- You must complete 100% of the core curriculum (required hours) within 6 months of your cohort start date.
- You must meet or exceed expectations on all core projects. You are welcome to submit improved versions based on your mentor’s feedback until you meet expectations.
- You must have completed and passed all career development tasks that are personally assigned to you by Pixoul’s career coaches. This includes without limitation taking all calls and passing mock interviews (failing to pass mock interviews may terminate eligibility for a refund).
2. Starting on the day you are approved for completion, after having completed the above mandatory requirements:
- You must be active in your job search and apply for a minimum of 4 Qualifying Positions in the Metropolitan Areas per week, in accordance with best practices prescribed by Pixoul’s career coaches. Notwithstanding the foregoing sentence, remote work is also acceptable provided that all other criteria are met.
- You must be active in building your network and reach out to at least 7 individuals per week and conduct 2 informational interviews per month. Outreach includes emailing, LinkedIn messages, meetups and conferences. An informational interview may be done in person, video chat or phone call. Being consistent in your networking including making contacts and following up is critical to one’s success in the job search.
- You must schedule calls with a Pixoul career coach at the frequency instructed by the coach.
- You should take guidance from your Pixoul team, and follow their recommendations on your job search strategy including building your network and applying for job types that are a good fit for you. You should be applying for roles that are suited to your level of experience and areas of expertise, and maintain realistic expectations about what kind of first job in UX is right for you.
- You must provide the Pixoul team with a weekly summary of job-related activity, including all job applications submitted and networking efforts made. You will also provide Pixoul with further job-related information on request.
- You must respond to placement related communications from Pixoul within 72 hours.
- You must always act with reasonable and good faith efforts to obtain a Qualifying Position.
How This Guarantee Applies To You
Without limiting the foregoing, situations that void this Pixoul Guarantee include, but are not limited to:
- You turn down a job offer for a Qualifying Position.
- You decide not to conduct a job search for all or part of the Guarantee Period, provided that you may elect to suspend your job search for up to six months upon written notice to Pixoul, and such written notice shall constitute a mutual agreement to extend the Guarantee Period, and provided further, that Pixoul may extend the Guarantee Period by up to six months following your resumption of your job search. Any offer for a Qualifying Position received during a suspension shall still terminate eligibility for a refund.
- You decide to search for a role that does not meet the Qualifying Position criteria above, or is outside of the UX field/industry.
- You accept a role that does not meet the Qualifying Position criteria above, or is outside of the UX field/industry, before the Guarantee Period is over.
- You do not put sufficient and consistent effort into your job search, as outlined above.
- You do not want to or are unable to live and work in one of the Metropolitan Areas.
- You do not communicate with the Pixoul team consistently throughout your search, including notifying us of any offers you have received.
- You lose your work authorization or do not have sufficient work authorization that meets the requirements above during your search, even if you did expect to have authorization or did at one time have appropriate work authorization during your Design Academy program.
- You become physically or mentally unable to conduct an effective job search as outlined above during the Design Academy or Guarantee Period.
- You do not apply for Qualifying Positions in the Metropolitan Areas as required above throughout the Guarantee Period.
- You significantly change your job search strategy during the Guarantee Period, including without limitation changing the Metropolitan Area of search, or industry, unless agreed to in advance by Pixoul.
- You do not follow through with the interview process for Qualifying Positions in a timely and professional manner, including but not limited to not participating as expected by the employer in the interview process by providing responses to employer communications, showing up on time for interviews, and providing documents or follow up as expected by employers.
- You do not apply for jobs that are suitable for your background or experience as discussed in your calls with the Pixoul team.
- You no-show or reschedule/cancel a call with less than 24 hours notice with a career coach or mock interviewer 3 or more times.
Certification for Reimbursement
If you believe you qualify for a reimbursement, you must provide a written and signed certification that you have met all of the Terms, and have not been offered any Qualifying Positions, within one calendar month after the Guarantee Period.
DATE PUBLISHED: September 18, 2020